Food2Fork makes it easy to find great recipes.
Search by name or ingredients. View Top Socially Ranked Recipes.
french onion soup
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 grams or 24 ounces or about 5 cups) thinly sliced yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams or 1 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) table salt, plus additional to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) granulated sugar (helps the onions to brown)
- 3 tablespoons (24 grams or 7/8 ounce) all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts (8 cups or 1.9 liters) beef or other brown stock*
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) dry white wine or dry white vermouth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) cognac or brandy (optional)
- 1 tablespoon grated raw onion
- 1 to 2 cups (to taste) grated Swiss (I often use Gruyere) or a mixture of Swiss and Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 12 to 16 1-inch thick rounds French bread, toasted until hard
Directions:View on Smitten Kitchen
Why don't we display directions?