Food2Fork makes it easy to find great recipes.
Search by name or ingredients. View Top Socially Ranked Recipes.
Vegetarian Banana Leaf Tamales
- 1 pound package of banana leaves, frozen or fresh (available at most Asian or Mexican markets)
- 2 pounds of already prepared tamale masa, or 3 cups masa harina (masa flour NOT regular corn meal) Note that prepared masa often has lard in it, so if you are going vegetarian on this recipe consider making your own masa from scratch, or buying a vegetarian prepared masa.
- 3 dried ancho chilies
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 whole peppercorns
- Olive oil
- Olive oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 1 1/2 carrots)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 calabacitas (Mexican summer squash, can substitute zucchini), roughly chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small bunch of spinach (about 15-20 leaves), rinsed, stems removed and discarded, chopped
- 12 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 3" x 3/4" x 1/2" pieces
- A large stockpot with a steamer rack
Directions:View on Simply Recipes
Why don't we display directions?