Food2Fork makes it easy to find great recipes.
Search by name or ingredients. View Top Socially Ranked Recipes.
Proper beef, ale & mushroom pie
- small handful dried porcini mushrooms (about 10g) - not essential but very tasty
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1kg braising steak (buy this as a whole piece and cut it yourself into large chunks)
- 2 large onions , roughly chopped
- 4 large carrots , chopped into large chunks
- 2 tsp golden caster sugar
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml dark ale
- 2 beef stock cubes mixed with 400ml boiling water
- small bunch each thyme , bay leaf and parsley, tied together
- 200g smoked bacon lardons, or chopped rashers
- 200g chestnut mushrooms , halved
- 650g plain flour , plus extra for dusting
- 250g lard or cold butter (or half of each), diced, plus extra for greasing
- 1 egg yolk , beaten, to glaze
Directions:View on BBC Good Food
Why don't we display directions?